University in the United States

When I attended High School here in the good old USA, there was not a single student in my graduating class that wasn't planning to go to a University after they graduated. From our first year of High School, all the way to our senior year, we were told that if we wanted to live well, we had to go to college. We were told that all people deserved and needed to go to college, and that college was made for everyone. I truly believed this at the time, as I was a gullible 17 year old. However, now that I've been in the University system, I can whole-heartedly say

University is NOT for Everyone

Look like an exclusive kind of place? That's cause it is.

My rage at this issue is from a friend. Recently I tried to explain to him that not everyone needs to go to college to be perfectly successful and happy. My friend was completely convinced that I was crazy and that if someone wanted a good job, they needed a diploma to prove that they earned it.

My friend found me upset because he honestly believed that people who have no aspirations beyond a roof, a family and a job should still have to go to college to get all of those things. I asked about the unbelievable amounts of debt that person would be in, and was told it is all inconsequential. I persisted, saying that upwards of $60,000 in debt that I've seen many seniors come out of Universities with was not inconsequential  and represented nearly a years pay or more for many people leaving college. This was once again dismissed, this time saying that it was 'worth it.' I asked how it was worth it. I didn't really get a response beyond, they get to have an education. I explained that anyone leaving High School does have some amount of education, and that there are some that don't feel they need to have more of it. My friend was getting snarky and simply said, "They do if they want to be successful." I decided to explain to him how wrong he was. I told him the story of a man I know by the name of D.K.(For anonymities sake, I wont post his real name). 
No. Not that DK

This is a man who instantly began working in food service after High School. He worked as a low level employee for about three years and eventually became the manager of a chain restaurant. After learning how to run a restaurant, he set out to make his own. He started a restaurant and became very successful, making six digits each year. He then started another restaurant, which had a similar effect on his income. Eventually, he sold both of his restaurants for a few hundred million dollars. He is now 36 and lives happily a mansion with his wife. He was successful, happy, rich, and never went to college. My friend believed I was telling him a lie, as no one who chooses work over college becomes rich. I eventually had to introduce my friend to D.K. in order for him to believe me. 

What this entire experience taught me was that students in America believe so ardently that they have to go to college to be successful, that they've forgotten that experience is just as(if not more) important than knowledge. 


11 comments:

  1. I have got to agree with you, I can't tell you how many people I've met who are in college with no clue what their major is, some who've been in school for upwards of five or six years. That's alot of time and alot of money.
    This coming from wannabe teacher: don't dive straight into college unless you're sure you know what you want to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely have a point, and people are catching on. Certainly in Britain people have been going to university to do courses which were created for people who shouldn't really be at university. People are intelligent in different ways and so the "academic" route certainly isn't for everyone. University fees have gone up in the UK recently (nothing like US fees) and hopefully this will discourage some people from uni, and instead take up apprenticeships where they can learn important trades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen cases myselft, but this method involves a lot of more sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that not everyone is right for college but it's getting more true that in order to get a good job, you do need to go to college and then grad school in more occasions nowadays. Now some people are perfectly content not getting a high paying, stressful job that requires a higher education and that's fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very true, and you SHOULD NOT go into varsity and such if you're not trying to get somewhere with it. Be it as a vet, doc, teacher or whatever. If you don't want to do any of said professions that require you to go to University, then don't. You waste time and money.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trade schools make more sense for most people since they just want skills to get a job in a field they are interested in. I enjoy learning so I'm going to college. It really depends on the person.

    IVY league universities are cool I guess if you are super fucking smart and probably going places.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We got a similar problem over here. Childrens in high school (or our form of it) are told, university is the best they can achieve. So they rush into studying often not even knowing what they want.
    I honestly think, the quality of education would improve alot, when there was a better clarification in school already, not only teaching the young people maths and language but also to find ways they want to walk in their life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice read. I fully agree with you man.

    ReplyDelete